Using this site
Search for People
From the drop-down menus selecting Find/Search People provides a wide range of possibilities for searching for people. (Note that there is a separate link for "Search Families".) I will provide some specific examples, but first let's understand the options.
Each of the search categories provides several options (contains, equals, etc.) - and they are not all the same:
1. Names have the following options - be aware that when you search you will be using a combination of these for various name types:
2. Places have the same options as names without the soundex and metaphone options.
3. Year searches have the following options:
4. The use of the Spouse's Last Name is explained in a separate page.
5. Other Search Criteria lists other events (Eg, census, migration) in addition to the basic ones set out at the top of the search page.
6. You can then choose to include in your results Death or Burial information and Spouse. The Spouse's Last Name field is handy when searching for a wife known to you only by her married name. See searching for a woman by married name.
7. Join with gives you the option of choosing AND (all your entries must be in each result) or OR (results include anyone with any of your criteria). For example, if you wanted to search for people born or died in Cairns, your would enter "Cairns" in the place for Birth and Death and select Join with: OR. If you want to search for anyone who was born and died in Cairns, you would select: AND.
You can search to see who is linked to a place by using the Find>Places link but it will not necessarily find all the results you want because "Cairns" and "Bungalow, Cairns" are regarded as separate places. You can use the Search People link to overcome that: see Find everyone linked to a place.